Kappa Sigma awards Take the Lead Scholarship

Pictured (left to right): Scholarship Chair Chris Stephens, with award recipients Landon Dekay, Emma Guerra, and Isaac Thomas. Photo by Oksana Durkee/Forum

Kappa Sigma’s Theta Eta chapter presented the “Take The Lead Scholarship” to three individuals this Tuesday at the Kappa Sigma lodge.

The purpose of Take the Lead is to “recognize the importance of the next generation of leaders on campus and in the community,” said Scholarship Chair Chris Stephens. “The three candidates selected were all students who held multiple leadership and membership roles in organizations in their respective high schools or communities.”

Joe Swafford, Kappa Sigma Alumni and Libertarian Nominee for Arkansas’s 2nd Congressional District, accompanied Terry Richard, scholarship donor and Professor Emeritus of Sociology at UA Little Rock, in presenting the award to Emma Guerra, Landon Dekay, and Isaac Thomas.

Guerra is majoring in community management and development, and minoring in nonprofit administration and Spanish. She was involved in various campus activities in high school including National Honor Society, Prom and Dance Committee, Broadcast Team, Debate Club and Congressional Youth Advisory Council.

“I want to be an advocate for the voiceless, repressed, neglected and abused,” Guerra said. “Whether that be by my advocacy coming through my practice of law for those who don’t have the ability, knowledge or means to stand-up for themselves or by working for an organization that councils those after a disaster.”

Dekay is majoring in political science and minoring in legal studies. He was involved in Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) in high school, as well as  Student Council, National Honors Society, Beta Club and Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

“I plan to major in both political science and legal studies in order to become a prosecuting attorney,” Dekay said. “After I work in the legal field for several years, I want to run for a Senate or House of Representative seat at the national level. I want to make a positive lasting difference on society and this is the perfect way to do just that.”

Thomas is double majoring in international studies and in political science. He has been involved in National Honors Society, Beta Club, The Little River Leadership Committee, Arkansas Governors School and served as a staff sergeant for The Civil Air Patrol.

“My career plans include interning and studying relentlessly to gather the information and wisdom which I will need to represent my constituents,” Thomas said. “I fully intend to join the Foreign Service Office and represent the United States of America abroad as I work with a team of specialists to promote peace, support prosperity, as I faithfully serve and protect the citizens from foreign threats.”

William Hall, Kappa Sigma chapter president, hopes this scholarship “will create more opportunities for UA Little Rock students to take the lead and help our campus grow!”