EAT BEAT: Wow Cafe opens up at UA Little Rock

WOW Cafe logo displayed inside. Photo: Oksana Durkee/Forum

Here at UA Little Rock, the new year brought new food places. One such place is the new and improved replacement for the Trojan Grill, the WOW Cafe. This facility opened on Sunday, August 19 to the public, but I was able to get a free preview meal two days before the big reveal.

The WOW Cafe has a very warm and inviting environment, the staff is friendly and the menu is more diverse than before. What I saw was not only a wing place (like their branding calls themselves), but chicken sandwiches, burgers, chicken tenders, cheese quesadillas and numerous sides ranging from green beans to French fries. Of all the items on the menu, there are only four meal plan options: cheese quesadilla, three piece chicken tenders, the Crescent City burger, and the Memphis wrap. These come with a side of either fries or coleslaw. If you’re trying to eat healthier, like I am, their limited meal plan options make eating there an expensive option for the flex dollars.

I decided to go with a grilled chicken sandwich with a side mac-n-cheese. I was given a pager (which made picking up my food even easier) and I went to wait. The wait time was very minimal (no more than five minutes) and then I received my food.

The chicken in the sandwich itself was very lean and the veggies accompanying it were beyond fresh. It had a crisp taste and I was truly impressed.┬áThe mac-n-cheese was amazing too. It was baked with a little bit of shredded cheese on top. It wasn’t dry, and it was very appealing to the taste buds.

Later, I then went on to try the Crescent City burger with a side of green beans, and once again I was utterly impressed. The veggies on the burger were very fresh and the beef patty was lean and not greasy. The green beans were seasoned perfectly and the seasoning complimented the natural flavor in the side. The food was hot and the service was swift.

All in all, upon eating at the WOW Cafe, one of the many things that came through my mind was “wow”, and for obvious reasons.

The WOW Cafe can be found at the old Trojan Grill by the University Commons and is open from 11 am to 10 pm Monday – Thursday, 11 am to 3 pm on Friday and 6 pm to 10 pm on Sunday.