Little Rock Athletics kicks off year with block party

Trojan students, athletes and supporters gathered in downtown Little Rock to kickoff the school year. Photo: Nick Popowtch/Forum

Thursday night, Little Rock (LR) Athletics hosted their annual “Little Rock Trojans Day” block party in Downtown Little Rock. The party, outside of Dugan’s Pub, saw the first performances of the LR Pep Band, as well as the dance team.

Hundreds of athletes, students, and fans attended, with drinks, snacks, games, and music spread out along the block to keep the crowd entertained.

The LR Pep Band opened festivities playing several songs, including the UA Little Rock fight song. After the band finished, the dance team took over.

Senior dancers Hanna Clark and Christopher Gardner are excited about the upcoming year for sports.

“I’m excited to see how the new men’s basketball coach starts the season,” Clark said. “I can’t wait to see how the team finishes.”

Gardner’s hoping for improvement across all athletics programs. “I’m excited to see all the sports programs ‘up’ what they’ve been doing compared to last year,” Gardner said. “And, I’m just excited to see all our programs move forward.”

Clark is also looking forward to the Governor’s I-40 Showdown, the new competition series between LR Athletics and the University of Central Arkansas (UCA). “I’m excited to see how that goes and how that rivalry with UCA will develop.”

For LR Dance, the new season also means the start of their competitive schedule, the first year the team will compete against other schools.

“It’s gonna be super challenging, but also really fun,” Gardner said. “There’s a lot of obstacles, but we’re all excited to make the push because it’s what our program needs to stay competitive with other programs around the state.”