10 Questions: women’s basketball

Before they left for their final regular season games and the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, the Little Rock (LR) women’s basketball program sat down with the Forum to take part in the “10 Questions” interview series. The Forum wants to thank the team for their honesty and humility.

The team repeated as regular-season Sun Belt Champions, earned a perfect home record in the conference, and a near perfect overall conference record. LR cut down the nets in front of their home crowd and enter the tournament the target of other teams.

Coach Foley added another 20-win season and Sun Belt regular-season Championship to an already storied hall-of-fame career. The championship marks his fourth in the last five years. A 57-37 victory over ULM on New Year’s Eve made Foley the 12th Division I head coach in NCAA women’s basketball history to earn 750 career wins.

Foley was just finishing up practice and took out the time to speak briefly with The Forum:

Question: What is the key to your success?

“I think the key to mine is just demanding kids to do their best, I push them. Being disciplined, doing it the right way every day, and not letting them slide.”

Question: What is the key to this team’s success?

“First you have two good seniors that are leaders. They’ve shown these kids how to work, they have a lot of togetherness, and they play hard for each other.”

Question: How rewarding was it for you all to cut down those nets?

“For me, this was one of the more rewarding years because we were so young, freshman and junior college. I really didn’t envision them being able to win the conference, especially with two games left and (LR) having a 3-game lead. I thought that was a great accomplishment for this team.”

Question: Other than basketball, what is the one thing you want players to feel you have instilled in them?

“If you’re going to get anything in life, you have to enjoy it and work hard. If you’re not willing to put your heart into it and work hard, don’t expect any results.”

The Forum then spoke with the team members:

Monique Townson: “Defense, getting stops, everyone contributing on the offensive end, and working together because we all have to help each other.”

Question: When I say the word dedication, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?

Ronjanae Degray: “Getting in the gym, putting up shots.”

Keanna Keys: “Studying.”

Townson: “The will to prepare is the will to win.”

Question: What team do you all want to see in the Sun Belt Tourney?

Ron. Degray: “We’re ready for anybody!” (She said it five times)

Kyra Collier: “Who doesn’t want to see Troy? That’s who gave us our loss this year.”

Keys: “I want to see UTA (University of Texas-Arlington), that was a close battle.”

Townson: “Just everybody.”

Question: What is the feeling of playing in the tournament?

Raeyana Degray: “I’ve never played in the tournament.” (Everyone laughs)

Townson: “The first time you play in the tournament, it’s a rush because it’s different…. Win or go home.” She added, “After that, you’re more relaxed and just focused on that one goal and that’s winning.”

Collier: “In my first tournament game, I bust my tail. I had the ball and just fell, nobody was right there I just fell because I was scared.” (Everyone laughs)

Question: Who is the team jokester?

Team laughs and agrees on Raeyana Degray and Collier.

Question: Who is this team’s nucleus? (Foley was also asked this question, he echoed their answer)

The team says in a synchronized voice, “Mo and Keanna.”

Collier: “Our seniors keep us tight and keep us right. They keep us ready and on-go”

Question: With this team’s success, how do you all stay grounded and humble?

Team synchronizes and says, “Coach Foley.”

Townson: “He makes us remember we can still lose.”

Collier: “If you got Little Rock across your chest, everyone’s coming for you.”